Sunday 30 January 2011

Get Lippy.

"Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick." 




Lipstick is not everyone's favourite item of make-up; it is known for sticking to your teeth and coming off when you eat or drink.  Having tried and tested most of the make-up company's lipsticks which are available in supermarkets and in the Boots store, prove all these predicaments true.  I became a lipstick sceptic in spite of the fashion industry's ploy to bring back it back.  However, my scepticism vanished this weekend when my mother bought me Mac lipstick and lip liner.


(Shade - 'Cherry')

(Shade - 'Cockney')

How to apply according to Mac:
1. Outline your lips with your lip liner and then shade in the entire lip area as this will act as a base for the lipstick.  
2. Apply your lipstick and blot if necessary.

Lip liner is an integral ingredient for coloured lips because it helps prevent your lipstick from bleeding into the surrounding skin, it acts as a primer to aid colour stay and it wonderfully defines the shape of your lips.
I chose the 'Cockney' shade of lipstick because it was the most moisture rich and glossy shade out of the three boldest reds.  The other two shades I tried on - 'Ruby Woo' and 'Russian Red' - were more matte colours which dried out the lips quickly.  'Ruby Woo' was more pink than red and 'Russian Red' was quite a dark shade of red.  They were both beautiful shades but were unsuitable for my auburn hair and pale skin.  If you have brunette hair, I would advise the 'Russian Red' shade, as the maroon tones of the lipstick will compliment the chocolatey shades of your hair.  And if you have very dark or black hair, I would recommend the 'Ruby Woo' because it is such a bold shade of lipstick, it will create such a wonderful contrast with your hair.


Mac has reincarnated my adoration for lipstick because the product is stubborn yet glossy and leaves my lips moisturised, and defined.  I managed to eat and drink in a restaurant without the lipstick budging and without having to wear that nasty tasting lip-stay/lip-coat product.
However, if your current lipstick is the type that loses its colour quick then try this tip that my house mate Fleur told me; it is a little 'trick of the trade' on how to get your lipstick to stay and it is also handy if you are one of those people who forgets to re-apply.
  
How to like Fleur:
1. Apply your lipstick.
2. Blot it.
3. Add a layer of loose facial powder.
4. Add another layer of lipstick.  Walah!


Bold and pastel lipstick shades are very fashionable right now so get lippy!

No comments: